Tips for Writing for the Web
Espace idées • March 2nd, 2020
In this article, we’d like to share some basic tips when it comes to content writing for the web. Simple tricks related to text formatting can easily enhance your social media posts, newsletter, blog and website. In addition to facilitating reading for your target audience, you’ll also improve your search engine optimization.
First, when writing for the web, it’s essential to think of your target visitor, your target subscriber and your target audience. The latter will tell you which direction to follow to create the right content. Always think of their needs when you write, adapt the tone of your writing and be consistent throughout the text.
The formatting of your text should allow the reader to quickly find the information he or she is looking for:
- Titles: Use titles and subtitles to make it easier to identify the content of the page or post, especially for longer texts.
- Paragraphs: Use paragraphs to divide the information. Each paragraph should present only one idea.
- Bold/Underline: Present certain key words in bold, in italics or underlined to make them more visible, but be careful not to overdo it.
- Lists: Use bulleted lists and numbered lists to present content that should stand out (like this one 😉).
- Limit the number of links on the same page.
- Write obvious links, giving a clear idea of the subject to which they lead.
- A page supported by tangible sources will be seen as having more value by the user AND the search engines.
- Avoid overly generic links like, "Click here".
- Use links of 2 to 5 words.
- Place keywords in your links.
A coherent structure makes it easier to read and simplifies the assimilation of information. It also allows Google to identify the main aspect of your content and therefore better reference it.
What is Google SEO?
Once you have mastered web writing, you can think of maximizing the effectiveness of your site by improving the content through search engine optimization, which will increase your site’s visibility and generate even more traffic.
Google’s algorithm chooses which pages are shown first in its search engine results based on the relevance of their content.
Google uses keywords, the semantic field (group of related words) and the structure of the text. It’s also influenced by the reputation of the site (official and renowned sites are preferred), the bounce rate (internal and external quality links), the time spent on each page and the engagement of visitors, as well as other parameters (less related to content).
Four Tricks to Improve SEO With Writing
1. Choose a good title for each page, news, article
- Eye-catching title with keywords related to your mission.
- Title not too short (nor too long).
- Tell the user what to expect.
2. Write a carefully written introduction
- Must contain your keyword and a semantic field (group of words all related to your subject).
- Find synonyms.
- Must answer who, where, when, how.
- Must pique the reader's curiosity.
- Must not be too long.
3. The body of the text
- Airy (subtitles, small paragraphs).
- Eye-catching paragraph titles with keywords or synonyms.
- Use different hierarchies of titles: this allows Google to understand what topics are covered in your text and with what degree of importance.
For more information, don’t hesitate to contact Espace idées!